The Runway Diva Says. . . Is an online advice column for aspiring models. As a 20 year veteran of the fashion industry as a plus sized model, I have found in my travels that most aspiring models, no matter their size, don't have a clue of the tools needed to become a successful model. Hopefully, I can help make their journey a little easier. Please Email me your questions to ORIGRUNWAYDIVA@aol.com

Friday, April 28, 2006

Mo'Nique's F.A.T. Chance Feedback

Hello Sharon,

Thank you so much for your word of encouragement. I check your site almost everyday and just found out that you’re in LA right now and the boot camp has begun so the final ten have been chosen. Can you give me any feedback or constructive criticism regarding why I wasn’t chosen to be a part of the competition? I view every experience as a learning tool and would be so grateful if you would take a minute to send me your thoughts. If it helps I was a part of the final round of young ladies in Seattle in the green dress and I sang an original piece during the first round of interviews that I was so glad that you gave positive feedback on.

No matter what I am so grateful for the opportunity and the boost of confidence that this competition has added to my life for the last couple of weeks I have been so proud to know that I made it to the next round out of so many women that could have been chosen. I will never forget the moment when my number 1364 was called, never. God Bless and I hope you can respond when you have time. I’m looking forward to the online competition!

Angel



Hi Angel!

Thanks for writing....I wish I could say to you that I remember who you are....but I honestly don't (By the time we got to Seattle we had already seen nearly 2000 women.) So please don't be offended if I don't remember you, But because I don't remember what you look like....I don't think I can give you the answer you are looking for as to why you were not chosen.

What I will say is this: It all depends upon whatever producer you happen to interview with. Ask yourself a question:

Did I do my absolute best?

I ask this of all of the women who approach me with this question. And surprisingly once they go over the audition in their heads....they realize that they could have either done more or done it differently or better.

The selection process was less about your outer beauty and more about you and what you had to do (or are doing) in order to become the person you are (or want to be). Yes, being beautiful helps....but there are NO shoo-in's here...trust me on this one. There is no talent segment of the show but we always ask folks if they have a talent that is a part of who they are.....then we definitely want to see it....but it neither helps nor hinders the selection process. I am glad that you walked away from the audition on a positive note....that is the whole purpose surrounding MFC.....loving and celebrating the unique and beautiful individual that YOU are!

So whatever you did this year....go back and review it and see what you can do to make it even better and make yourself really stand out in front of the producers next year. But keep it honest and stay true to yourself... i.e....if your story is not a sad one.....Then DON'T try to change it into one....feel me? One more thing....because there is such a high volume of women who come out for the castings...you have about 30 to 45 seconds to get their (the producers) attention....make yourself POP!!!!

I hope that this helps you a bit and I look forward to seeing you next year for the castings for MFC 2007.

Please feel free to email me with any other questions you may have and if you send me pictures of yourself, I can take a look and give you my thoughts if you are interested.

And remember to be sure to tune into the Oxygen Network on July 15th for the premiere of Mo'Nique's F.A.T. Chance 2006!!!

Sharon


Hello Sharon,

Thank you so much for your comments. I have to be honest and say that there was more I could’ve done and I’m glad though I have sad stories I didn’t want to make that day about them. I am glad about the confidence this opportunity gave me and recently sent a demo to Los Angles with pictures. I never wanted to take pictures before, but I kicked some out with no hesitation because I have so much talent, love, and gifting stored within me and I believe that God is setting me up in different places where I am going to be able to share it soon enough. Thanks to Monique for such a great idea with creating this pageant and thanks to you for paving the way for so many big beautiful woman. This experience also prompted me to see a nutritionist and makes me want to be as healthy as I can be, not skinny, but healthy! Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to respond.

You be blessed and hopefully I will see you again someday,

Angel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home